Healthcare industry can drive tremendous value and reap valuable benefits and value from Healthcare IoT.
According to few recent reports Healthcare industry will be one of the largest adopters of IoT. A new report from MarketResearch.com states- “The healthcare IoT market segment is poised to hit $117 billion by 2020 and this is just a slice of the pie and a small part of what we are going to see in the near future”. Integrating IoT features into medical devices greatly improves the quality and effectiveness of service, bringing especially high value for the elderly, patients with chronic conditions, and those requiring constant supervision. IoT enabled smart wearables can be leveraged to save tens of thousands of lives every year. IoT based healthcare services are expected to reduce costs, increase the quality of life, and enrich the user’s experience. From the perspective of healthcare providers, the IoT has the potential to reduce device downtime through remote provision. In addition, the IoT can correctly identify optimum times for replenishing supplies for various devices for their smooth and continuous operation. Further, the IoT provides for the efficient scheduling of limited resources by ensuring their best use and service of more patients. Healthcare IoT networks driven by wireless technologies are expected to support chronic diseases, early diagnosis, real-time monitoring, and medical emergencies.
Below are some of the use cases that make healthcare industry one of the most attractive fields for IoT applications:
- IoT enabled Smart wearables
- Patient engagement
- Remote patient monitoring
- Connected sensors and medical devices
- Remote device performance monitoring, tuning and management
- Simplify and optimize clinical workflow
- Track equipment usage, availability and performance
- Hospital assets and inventory management
- Storage conditions control
- Medical device damage detection
- Predictive device maintenance
- Sharing data across value chain for rapid decision making
- HIPAA compliant data security